I have come to realize that in order for me to have a balanced life, I must strive for healthy thoughts, followed by healthy actions, live within my means, let go of matters outside of your control, take time to de-stress, and live my life in wonder and with passion.
I’ve boiled it all down to seven basic principles. I figure, if you incorporate one a day, you will see a marked change in your day to day. I have!
1. Only positive folks allowed. Love, nurture, and be generous to those who love and support you. Try to keep an open and positive attitude. Should you encounter haters or folks who are stressful, say “Thank you very much!” and keep stepping.
2. Do only what you love. Or, bring a positive attitude to whatever you do. Be the solution and not the problem. If you are about to complain, shut your mouth!
3. Choose a time of day to be still and quiet the mind, even if it’s just ten minutes. This is a hard one for me. But I try to just before I go to bed or I incorporate a short meditation in my exercise regimen.
4. Exercise! Choose to have a fit, supple body, and a heart that hums happily. Do something, even if it’s a ten-minute workout. Try to vary your workout, it keeps you from getting bored and your body feels challenged.
5. Eliminate all types of dysfunction, stressful bickering – anything that does not serve you. ‘Nuf said.
6. Get some rest. Allow your body and mind to replenish. Sleep and quiet time is my first priority, otherwise I am miserable and feel cheated.
7. Eat well. Include all the wonderful colors that nature provides on your plate. Don’t deprive yourself. Don’t go crazy, but be sure to treat yourself every once in awhile.
Be good to your body and it will serve you well. Make smart and healthy choices so that you can achieve all the wonderful things the universe has in store for you!
Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: I’m with you kid. Let’s go. Maya Angelou